Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ode to a Bianchi.....


I am in mourning. I sold my 2001 Bianchi today. It had not been used, since I rode the Climb to Kaiser for the second time in 2002. After that ride, I knew that I would not going to be using those types of climbing gears ever again. With a triple on the front and a 27 rear cog, there was not a hill I could not climb.

It was always kept indoors and I have been looking at it leaning against the wall for almost 5 years. I would air the tires and dust it off occassionally. The narrow bars, alloy frame, and seat feel unfamiliar, now.

I put an ad on our local, girls triathalon team, website. It was sold in 2 days. A wonderfully vivacious gal who was just getting into riding, was so pleased and excited to see my bike in person. My first bike was going to another girl--as her first bike. Her smile says it all.

As she carefully loaded my Bianchi into her truck, I had a tear in my eye. I could not believe it, as I had never thought--in a million years--that I would become attached to an inanimate object. But I was.

4 comments:

Kathie Reid-Bevington said...

Shit...now you've made me cry...

meh-wee-uhn said...

Ach, I know how you feel. Some stuff you can sell to whoever has the money, but other things need good homes. There's pet adoption services but what about bike adoption services?

but it looks like you were able to find someone who will love your old bike.

Unknown said...

nice story denise, thanks!

Sacwheelgirl said...

I understand completely, I lost an '89 Univega with downtube shifters and a biopace to my ex. It was a combination aluminum frame steel stays bolted on. I did my first century up tollhouse grade on it. I loved that silly bike.

The new owner seems like she appreciates it!