Thursday, July 5, 2007

4th of July, Davis criterium

Legs spinning well? Check

Hydrated and fed? Check

Managable heart rate? Check

Course that suits my strengths? Check

Sunny, warm weather? Check

Awesome teammates? Check



Everything was in perfect alignment for me this morning. Soni, Angela, Julie and I rolled out, with a large field of familiar faces. We had a few SUPER-SQUIRELLY gals, who proved to make this course a bit more challenging than it should have been.


Bellas were riding safe'n smart and I was relishing in the moments ahead, when I would cross the finish line in the Top 10, so I can finally unpgrade. My rear wheel blew out on the corner and I was thrilled to keep upright. After a quick pit stop, I was pushed out, to catch the field. My HR went from 150 to about 190 in lickity split. Tried as I might, I could not catch on to the group.....I limped off the course and expressed my woes to Bunny's hubby.


The 3.5 hour drive, proved to be gravely disappointing. Coyote Creek, here I come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I heard the blow out, I thought for sure somebody was going to crash, especially in the turn. You did a great job pulling to the side!!!

Denise said...

Thanks! I was scratching my head, wondering why I didn't crash, too! My hill-climbing may stink, but I've got mad handling skills! :-)